Enjoy Brentwood More's history columnist Sylvia Kent to release new book on Brentwood's buildings
PUBLISHED: 14:11 12 September 2019 | UPDATED: 14:18 12 September 2019
Ryan Phillips/PA Archive/PA Images
Enjoy Brentwood More's history columnist Sylvia Kent has published her 12th book which explores some of her favourite buildings in Brentwood.
Sylvia has lived in the area since the mid-60s and is the archivist, Vice-President and a fellow of the Society of Woman Writers and Journalists.
Sylvia's book Brentwood in 50 Buildings, explores Brentwood from 1176 when this then tiny hamlet came under the jurisdiction of South Weald, mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Survey.
The first mention of 'Burnt-wood' is recorded in the Pipe Rolls of the Exchequer in 1186 and its Latin name (Boscus Arsus) indicated its origins in a forest clearing.
By 1200 it was known as the Forest of Brentwood.
Following the murder of Archbishop Thomas Becket in 1170 in Canterbury Cathedral, pilgrims began making journeys to Canterbury to pray at the shrine of the Archbishop who was canonised in 1173. Brentwood hamlet was positioned on the Essex Great Road - the ancient Roman London-Colchester thoroughfare.
It proved a convenient stopping place for travellers on their way to the Tilbury Thames crossing.
Over centuries, inns and shops sprang up along the route, some of which are featured in this book.
Brentwood's close proximity to London brought royalty and wealthy merchants to the area; soldiers to Warley Barracks, pupils to Brentwood's famous grammar school, patients to numerous hospitals including Warley Asylum.
The railway arrived in 1840.
National companies were established including Selo (Ilford Limited), Ford Motor Company and Thermos among others.
And, of course, the architecturally beautiful Roman Catholic Cathedral built 1989/1990 which graces the book cover.
Brentwood in 50 Buildings will be published on Sunday, September 15 and will be available to purchase from Amazon UK, as well as Kindle Kobo and iBook.