Throwback Thursday: What do you know about the Wickford Church of England School fire?
PUBLISHED: 16:00 10 January 2019
Take a look at our picture from the past!
There was a fire at the Wickford School, which is now The Wickford Church of England School, in Mount Road, on Friday, January 10, 1908.
The fire was thought to have been caused by a spark from the chimney which set alight the thatched roof of the building.
No one was injured as the children were evacuated and sent home as soon as the fire was spotted.
This was just as well, as the fire brigade from Chelmsford refused to turn out, because the telegram summoning them did not carry a signature and it was therefore not certain who would pay their expenses.
The brigade from Billericay was called instead but, despite arriving “with commendable promptness”, the school had been virtually destroyed by the time they had reached it.
Do you have any old pictures that you would like to share? Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org